Wednesday, 06 February 2008

Internet Solutions?

So I've just opened an ADSL account for my business with a company called Internet Solutions. Now I dunno how it works outside South Africa but in order to get an unshaped, uncapped ADSL service with 5 static IP addresses, you have to accept a service where they lock down the router so that you can't configure it yourself.

So the preconfigured router is delivered to my office this afternoon and like any thoughtful manager, I decide that I will connect it up after work hours so that my entire office is not plunged into information darkness. I plug it in and then realise that I need to get a local IP address for the router so that we can set the network up on it. I call internet solutions and all the setup engineers ave gone home at 5PM. That needs no 24 hour setup support from South Africa's biggest (or second biggest) ISP. WTF!?!?!?!

The call center agents blatantly tell you that it is against company policy to put you through to the tech department. I know that internet solutions uses ITIL and marvel to keep their customers happy. Well maybe internet solutions is a bad example but this sort of behaviour put a terrible light o ITIL and Marvel as I am forced to lay my frustrations onto a clueless girl0friday who can't give me first line support.

F^*k ITIL. I will never implement it. I will much rather go with Microsoft Operations Framework or some framework that allows my service company to sort out small problems in an agile manner. F$^k Marvel as it supports ITIL which forces me to deal with 'off the steet' call center agents when I have a problem of a technical nature.

Anybody interested in buying an ADSL service in South Africa? Internet Solutions is NOT your answer. I get MUCH better service from AXXESS which is my small time home ISP. At least they feel the need to make their customers happy.

No comments: